Friday, July 30, 2010

Santa Barbara Pier

I had to move out of the Santa Barbara marina for 2 days while a Yacht racing event took over. I decided to anchor south of Stearns Wharf pier and scoped out a spot in the dinghy that seemed protected from the swells and wind. I ended up tucked in as close to the Pier as possible but had to stay at least 300ft away as per the local regs. I could get my space back in the marina on Friday afternoon and then Ali and the kids should be here on Saturday morning.
Anchored behind Stearns Wharf Pier





















The anchorage worked out well, during the day when the wind and the swell were in the same direction it was very mellow, but as soon as the thermal winds dropped at nite the boat swung around to the south and rolled like crazy (around 2am!) Getting a good sleep was tough, but I'm getting better at sleeping thro it now. I set a stern anchor with the Danforth I have in the bow locker and tried holding the boat into the swell, this worked well, but then a moderate south wind kicked in the next nite and I had wind waves smashing into the hull that sounded like someone hitting the boat with a hammer. Tying up back in the calm marina seemed very appealing now, plus setting and retrieving 2 anchors took a lot of time and I have to sleep with the anchor watch alarm on which usually goes off as the wind shifts.





The start of the yacht race

Friday morning I took the dingy out to watch the start of yacht race. A lot of the boats were custom built, over 65ft and kitted out with carbon fiber masts and booms, some serious cash being spent on a fun race. They were all fully crewed and it was pretty impressive watching the teamwork involved in tacking and gybing, certainly more graceful (and faster) than when I do it alone.

After the race I hauled anchor and got my spot back in the marina, the end tie on Q dock, I then headed down to Brophy's bar that overlooks the marina.to get some lunch. I'd tried to go a few times before but it was always packed and had a long waiting list. It was packed again but managed to get a spot at the bar. The food and service was great and I got chatting with a few of the locals. Put this place on your todo list if you ever visit Santa Barbara, its a real gem.
Great view from the bar at Brophys










I've found a closer coffee shop (HotSpots) near the pier so I managed to update the blog. I have ordered a new long range USB WiFi antenna which has a built in access point so I can then share any connection I find with other laptops and IPhones. Its the Engenius EUB9603H which was recommended by Allan from s/v Follow You, Follow Me' who I met on the docks the other day, which reminds me I also bought his boat bikes from him and some charts for the south Pacific. He is on the return journey to Redwood city from New Zealand and used to have the slip directly behind me at Bair Island Marina, it was real coincidence to run into him. We spent a few hours talking about his trip and all the experiences he and his wife had had with their boat, which included being towed in the south Pacific when their rudder fell off.

Anyway, the bikes have worked out great as they really extend the distance I can travel when I stop somewhere. When I'm done they fold up really small and go in a bag. They don't weigh much and they are built specifically for storing on boats with (mostly) Aluminum and stainless steel and seem to resist rusting in a very salty environment that would destroy most bikes in a few months.

I've been riding all over Santa Barbara and even found a Trader Joes. The rack on the back fits a 12 pack box of Corona perfectly, I got a few comments on my way back to the boat with that! Having the bike reminds me of getting my first motorbike when I was 16 and the freedom it gave me.
Port Runner Aluminum folding bike, my new ride!

HotSpots coffee shop on State Street


































Cool skate park next to the beach. Time to be a teenager again!


















The family should be here in the morning and we will hang out here for a few days and then head for Two Harbors at Catalina Island via Ventura Harbor and Marina Del Ray if the weather holds. Ali will be driving here in the car and I want to drive around the area and explore Montecito a few miles down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment