Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Monterey Harbor

I hugged the coast down to Monterey from Moss Landing as a reasonable swell was running from the NW and it was blowing about 15 knots on the beam making for a perfect passage. I got all the white canvas out and never dropped below seven knots, a truly great sail along a fantastic coastline. I hope I get more days like that.

 
I called up the harbormaster on the VHF and got the end tie on B dock overlooking the pier, I couldn't ask for a better location.













The water is so clear here, I can even see my rudder from the dock and there is fish swimming around it!
















I love this place, I have a constant show from all the sea-life right from my cockpit. You get used to the barking seals after a while ...

Lots to do here, with the pier just steps away and the historic downtown to visit. I think I will stay here a while.

I walked around the pier area and got some roasted sardines that were very good. Lots of nice looking seafood restaurants on the pier and they are all giving away samples of their popular dishes. By the time I got to the end of the pier I didn't need to get dinner.

The next day I washed all the salt of the boat and tidied up a bit, then headed downtown. I was looking for a WIFI connection because I couldn't find anything from the marina that wasn't locked, even with my long range antenna. I found an open WiFi network at the end of the high street and sat on a bench to update the blog. When I finished I noticed a Trader Joe's round the corner and loaded up with all my favorite goodies. Of course I then found a Peets Coffee with Wifi next door which I could have used. 5 years ago when I did this same route I had much less trouble finding internet access as most wireless networks were open.

No comments:

Post a Comment