Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Moss Landing and Elkhorn Creek

I left Capitola in the afternoon after sailing around to Santa Cruz Pier and back with some friends that live in Capitola.
















Admiral Mimi at the helm. The new captain also insisted we re-tuned the radio station to something less ancient.
















I got to try out the big spinnaker on the downwind run back.
















I then headed for Moss Landing which is a few hours south. Moss Landing is a real fishing port with a fish processing plant. There are some very interesting old sailboats in the marina, a real trip back in time.

The harbor is full of seals and otters. A huge seal was asleep on the dock next to me when I pulled up.

















The next morning I tool the dinghy down Elkhorn Creek. It's a beautiful area full of wildlife.
































I wanted to wait for the afternoon winds to pick up, so I spent some time wandering around downtown. Did you know the Shakespeare society and its museum is located in Moss Landing? The guy in the museum is keen to raise money to save the collection and gave me a tour and a history lesson. A little embarrassing to be schooled on Shakespeare by an American, but it was interesting.
















There are a few antiques/art stores and some Mexican restaurants. I didn't get to try any as I ate on the boat.

After picking up some fresh fruit from the local market on the side on Highway 1, I checked out of the marina and cast off for Monterey at the south of the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment