Tuesday, July 20, 2010

San Simeon (Hearst Castle)

Just anchored at San Simeon after a mostly foggy, cold and windless Big Sur passage. Ironically, there is a strong NW wind on this coast 99% of the time, but this time we had to motor at the end to make the anchorage by nightfall. We did have some good sailing at times, some blue whale sightings and had a large pod of dolphins join us, so I cant complain.


Big Sur coastline















I anchored here at San Simeon on my last trip and was really looking forward to spending some quality time here, exploring the coast and maybe visiting Hearst Castle, but a strong southerly swell will make landing the dinghy difficult in the surf and I have first hand experience of that as I flipped the dinghy on a breaking wave last time I was here! Looks like I will have to save this great anchorage for the next trip.

In the morning we will haul anchor and set sail for Morro Bay about 4 hrs south of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment