Friday, January 28, 2011

Barra de Navidad (anchor)

I waited for a rising hi tide in the morning before heading over to the Barra lagoon from Melaque as the entrance is quite shallow and narrow.

View Larger Map

About 50 boats ranging from 30-50ft were already anchored in the lagoon so I took my time scoping out a space.
Even at high tide there was only around 12ft of depth and the actual area you could anchor in was quite small.

A useful aerial view of Barra that shows all the main parts of town and the bay. We ended up buying some land in the center canal (large green lot on the water, right of the S shaped hotel in the bottom left corner.
View of the Barra lagoon from the Grand Bay hotel marina. In the distance you can see about 50 boats are anchored out. Feb 2011. It peaked at over 60 a few weeks later.
.
A highlight of any stop at Barra is a visit by Emeric aka 'The French Baker of Barra".
There is nothing like hot fresh pastries and baguettes delivered directly to your boat in the morning.
He has a website now at www.barrabaker.com so you can place your order lying in your bunk.
I ended up anchored in the lagoon for around 3 months. As the temperature rose later in the spring the other cruisers continued south or headed back up into the Sea of Cortez for the summer. Soon I was the only boat left in the lagoon.

The afternoon winds were quite strong in late April/May so when I started construction of the dock I rented a slip in the Grand Bay marina. This also gave me shore power so I could run my AC system. It was getting hot! The summer rates at the marina are 1/2 the winter rates which sealed the deal.

Continue my story in Barra ....

Building the dock on the canal for Sea42
Building the House Part 1 and finding the property
Building the House Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment