Friday, October 29, 2010

Isla San Jeronimo (anchor)

I finally fulfilled a childhood fantasy for my 46th birthday when I landed at my own island. Well it wasn't really my own, but since I was the only person on the island while I was there, I let my imagination run a little.


View Larger Map
Isla San Geronimo in the North with the treacherous Sacramento reef to the south.

I was totally blown away with this island and the wildlife. The rock formations and the tide-pools are incredible. Its well worth a visit if you are sailing down this coast.

Smooth sailing to Isla San Jeronimo























I anchored on the eastern shore at Sunset


















In the morning I took the dingy ashore to explore the island. It was only a few square miles and not completely covered in Cactus like San Martin making it easy to hike around.
Easy landing near the fish camp. Sea42 in the background.

















Abandoned shacks near the shore


















5 graves on the path up to the lighthouse


















The solar powered, automated lighthouse on the hill


Looking south from the lighthouse. Fishcamp on the left.


















Looking north from the lighthouse
































tubes of lava in the sandstone


















beautiful carved sandstone


















Amazing tide pools full of sea life


















Unusual tubes that you could drive a car thro


















remains of the roof of lava tubes


















Sea42 anchored of Isla San Jeronimo


















Bizarre lines and circles carved in the rock


















Amazing tidepools on the windward side


















Seals hauled out on the southern shore

No comments:

Post a Comment