Friday, October 15, 2010

La Playa, San Diego Harbor (anchor)

La Playa is a small bay behind shelter Island on San Diego Bay. View Map.You can only anchor over the weekends , but its nicely situated off a quiet residential area.


View Larger Map


The Anchorage at La Playa
I'm booked to fly home in a few days and I'm still looking for somewhere to keep the boat for 8 days. I cant leave it anchored anywhere so it means finding a slip. There are lots of marinas around, but they are are all full and with the Baja Haha sail rally (200 boats) starting in a few weeks all the available spots seem to be taken. I'm counting on getting a spot at the police docks nearby, but they are full at the moment. The girl at the office thinks a space may open up tomorrow, so I'm ready to move at a moments notice.

Homes overlooking the bay
 I took the dinghy to shore to try and find a Spectra dealership that is nearby. Spectra make my watermaker and I need a new carbon filter for my trip as they only last 6 months. Shelter Island has so many boat related businesses, you could have a boat designed, built and commissioned just on one road! I picked up my filter and then found a store called the 'Dinghy Doctor'. He had all the weird pieces I need for my dinghy including wheels (to beach the dinghy), planing fins and a new motor hoist. I loaded all the stuff onto the little bike and wobbled back to the pier where I had left the dinghy only to find the gate locked. Luckily, after a while, someone was leaving the dock and opened the gate for me. If I had been any later I would have to swim back to the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment