Sunday, October 3, 2010

Mission Bay, San Diego (anchor)

I'm close to the border! I can smell the salsa in the distance. Well I'm not planning on visiting any of the border towns like Tijuana but will make my first stop Ensenada which looks about a days sail south.

Anyway for now I'm in the final, most southerly US city on this leg of the trip. From a boaters perspective, San Diego is split into 2 areas, Mission Bay and San Diego Bay, split by the San Diego river.

Mission Bay, San Diego. Im anchored at the blue dot, bottom left.
 Mission bay is a huge man made area dredged from mud flats back in the 50's. Most of it is accessed under a freeway bridge which is too low for my mast, but there is a general anchorage area before the bridge called Mariners Basin where I can stay for three days. View Map.
Sea42 anchored just off the beach
There are no docks or piers nearby, but I can drag the dinghy up the beach and cycle into town. Right next to the anchorage is a large park and Sea World, the huge Zoo with Orca the killer whale.

Sunset at Mission Bay

















This part of San Diego has a distinctly different feel to it than the other towns in southern California that I have visited. It's very laid back and noticeably less pretentious, without the L.A. rat-race / 'look at me' atmosphere.

I couldn't resist taking a peek at this boat at the far end of the bay, his anchor and rode was still attached but it cant have set well as he must have dragged onto the beach and is now stuck in this interesting position.
Ive never seen a fin keel boat balance so well.

Looks like its been here a while....
I took a few bike rides around the area and found a great coffee shop near the harbor that was very laid back. I chatted with the owner for a while about the town and living near the border of Mexico.
Coffee shop making good use of old surfboards

Along the beach front is surfer paradise. Endless surf shops, hippie hangout bars and this park with an artificial wave machine.

On my last day I took my longest bike ride so far and made it all the way north to La Jolla which is like the Beverley Hills of San Diego. Beautiful homes right on the beach front some with their own private bay.
The sea front at La Jolla
interesting trees at the park
 I want to fly home in a few weeks as it's birthday season at home soon and I can catch 2 birthdays in 7 days if I time it right. I've got the flight booked, all I need to do now is find a home for the boat. I can only stay here for 3 days, but in San Diego bay they have a number of places you can anchor specially set up for transients like me headed for Mexico. You even have to prove your not local to use the main anchorage. It will be great to get out of 'civilization' soon and anchor where I want without someone sticking there hand out for money or putting restrictions on how long I can stay.

I called up the harbor police and got 3 back-to-back 3 day permits at Glorietta Bay with is on the very exlusive Coronado Peninsula. Ill be right near the center of town which will be nice. I then have another permit for 'La Playa' cove for the next weekend. Hopefully by then I will be able to sort something out for the week I fly home. Looks promising though....

No comments:

Post a Comment