Saturday, August 28, 2010

Newport Beach anchorage

I made good time sailing back to the mainland as the weather was building. I was looking forward to being in a calm protected bay and Newport beach is one of the best.
Tied up at the harbor patrol docks to get info on were to stay



















There is a number of options at Newport Beach, you can pay an outrageous amount to stay in a marina, over 3x the price of the other ports I had visited or you can tie up to one of the many mooring balls around the bay or you can use the free anchorage area thats located right in the central spot near the beach and shops. You can stay there for 5 days in any one month so that seemed to suit me fine. Its so calm in here compared to being out in the open ocean, I slept well that nite.
The channel entrance to Newport Beach























Lots of bays and islands to explore
This has to be the sailing capitol of southern California. Every day I'm surrounded by big and small sailboats in races and just having fun passing just feet away from were I'm anchored. The shoreline is a continuous line of private properties, most with there own beach and docks for multiple yachts. There is a mixture of good and average shops and restaurants around. This area wasn't developed fully until recently and its still working out its issues, but for a boating family it has to be a great place to live.
Want a house with a beach and a dock? the one on the right is $35m. I'm anchored opposite for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment